Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Precious New Birth

I've been reading about St. Paul's conversion on the road to Damascus, and thinking about conversions in general. Some people (like Paul) met God in such a spectacular way, and others (like me) met Him in rather ordinary circumstances. I wondered why we don't all get the bright light and the voice from the sky.

Today I was talking to a pregnant mom, and of course the conversation turned to birth, and I shared with her a few details about one of my children's births. On the way home I thought about how precious birth stories are to women--whether the story includes a dramatic intervention at a hospital or woman's own quiet bedroom. The moment your child enters the world is unforgettable.

The Lord must see it that way too. Whether we are "born again" with bright lights or a whispered prayer, He loves and treasures each of us. Perhaps our earthly definition of "dramatic" is different from His.

Psalm 116:15 tells us that the death of a saint is "precious in the sight of the Lord". I'm guessing the new birth of a saint is just as special to Him.

No comments: