Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Simple Food Pleasures

When I was little my dad used to make my bedtime snacks. My favorite was a "butter" and sugar sandwich. White bread, margarine, white sugar. Simple. Not healthy. Yummy.

This week, I've rediscovered this pleasure, but I've upgraded to whole grain tortillas and raw sugar and real butter instead of the spread we used to call "butter".

My childhood was filled with very simple and often boring food. But a few of those simple pleasures are worth experiencing again:
baked potato with butter and salt,
homemade biscuits with maple syrup,
tuna noodle casserole (I just realized my kids have never had this!),
french dip sandwiches,
pie dough, baked in long strips and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar...

(I see a high carb trend here...)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Okay, you got me! That reminded me that a few years ago I tried to duplicate the taste of a cinnabon as much as possible, at home, and with only butter, powdered sugar, vanilla and cinnamon. I made this and spread in on bread. It was pretty good!

Sophy Nextdoor said...

Oh my, that does sound good. I can just imagine it on warm toast.