Monday, November 24, 2008

soup for a sick day

I really wanted homemade soup today but I was extremely tired due to losing an hour of sleep cleaning up Rose's bed after she threw up at 2 a.m. I didn't feel very good myself this morning, so when lunchtime I didn't have a lot of energy for food preparation.

I've been buying Imagine organic vegetable broth at Fresh and Easy, so I thought I'd try a simple veggie soup. I diced one celery stalk, one red potato, and 3 cloves of garlic. I browned them just a little bit in olive oil, then added vegetable broth to more than cover the veggies. I also added two dried mushrooms, chopped in big chunks. After this came to a boil, I let it reduce while I thought about lunch for the kids. By the time the potato was cooked, the broth had reduced to a very tasty soup. I added a few spices--garam masala and tumeric and salt.

No comments: