Friday, September 5, 2008

Chocolate Cake-like Substance in a Mug

I'm listing this under the "Friday Funny" tag because the whole idea of microwaving a cake-like substance is funny to me. My kids thought it was hilarious to have cake in a mug. Faith asked if she could please eat it with a fork--she was apparently concerned that we would drink the cake.

The texture is a little odd--cakes are not meant to be baked in a microwave. But Faith was sad that she didn't get to attend a church activity this week, and this recipe was a great way to cheer her up. I suppose I have taught her a valuable life lesson now: when life is disappointing, chocolate is the cure.

Chocolate "Cake" In a Mug
4 tablespoons flour
4 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons baking cocoa
a shake of cinnamon

Mix in a large coffee mug.

1 egg
3 tablespoons milk
3 tablespoons oil

Mix in a small bowl, then pour into dry ingredients and mix well.
Microwave for 3 minutes. The cake raised over the top of the mug, but did not overflow in the microwave.
Allow to cool a little, and tip it out onto a plate if desired.
Serves 1 or 2, depending on age and degree of chocolate-neediness.

(recipe slightly adapted from an e-mail I received this week)

1 comment:

Julie said...

That's funny, I got this e-mail about a week or so ago and I also added cinnamon to mine. :)