Friday, April 4, 2008

Book: Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the dog)

In The Heart of the Family, Adrian Plass mentioned P.G. Wodehouse and Jerome K. Jerome as two of his favorite authors. I think Wodehouse is delightful, but Jerome was a new name to me. I checked out his Three Men in a Boat (to say nothing of the dog) this week. The book was written in the 1880s and it has aged well. Humorous in a dry British style, it describes a boating vacation taken by three friends and their dog. Sprinkled through the story are descriptions of the historical sites they float past, and recollections of the friends' earlier boating journeys. My only complaint was that the book was not long enough.

Summary at Wikipedia (but I don't agree that the historical bits distract from the plot; I thought they were fun!)

No comments: