Sunday, March 9, 2008

Home Decor

Woman Diving into Cup of Coffee
Woman Diving into Cup of Coffee



We're making some changes in our home decor. Our new theme for the guest bathroom is coffee and tea, and I ordered this poster. It reminds me of the theme song from the Mrs. Bradley Mysteries (a delightful mystery series on DVD; Diana Rigg plays Mrs. Bradley).

I already have a knickknack shelf with ten china cream pitchers in that room, so we're off to a good start.

We've had red and pink roses dictating the color scheme in this room for awhile, and it's time for a change.
A month or two ago, my husband and I looked around our home and said, "Our decor no longer reflects US." Much of our decor was purchased or gifted to us ten years ago, and our personalities have changed and expanded since then. We'd like our house to be a little less foofy.
I describe our style as "Grandmother's Cottage." The grandmother of my imagination grew up in the Victorian era and loved the dignity and beauty of Victorian style, but travelled around the world later in her life (perhaps in the 30s) and her home is a blending of Victorian china, vintage travel posters, and photos of Irish landscapes as well as old European churches. Perhaps Grandmother is a bit like Aunt Ada Doom (in Cold Comfort Farm) after Flora awakens her spirit of adventure.
I found this cheaper on ebay:
Oh dear...I just remembered I have Meditation in the closet, waiting for a frame. I'm not sure the colors will blend with the others, but all the pictures have green in common, which happens to be my favorite color:
I guess the walls are full now....

2 comments:

DebD said...

Oh, I love the 2nd picture the most. What a lovely theme idea.

And I enjoy the Mrs. Bradley Mysteries too, but I've never read any of the books (if there are one??!)

DebD said...

Oops, that was me, Metanoia, from THL.