Monday, January 19, 2009

Monday of the Second Week in Ordinary Time
Readings: Heb 5:1-10; Mark 2:18-22; Psa. 110:3-4


Highlights:

...In the same way,
it was not Christ who glorified Himself in becoming high priest,
but rather the One who said to him:
You are my Son:
this day I have begotten you;

...He became the source of eternal salvation for all who obey him.

The LORD said to my Lord: “Sit at my right hand
till I make your enemies your footstool.”
The scepter of your power the LORD will stretch forth from Zion:
“Rule in the midst of your enemies.”...

Jesus answered them,
“Can the wedding guests fast while the bridegroom is with them?
As long as they have the bridegroom with them they cannot fast.
But the days will come when the bridegroom is taken away from them,
and then they will fast on that day.
No one sews a piece of unshrunken cloth on an old cloak.
If he does, its fullness pulls away,
the new from the old, and the tear gets worse.
Likewise, no one pours new wine into old wineskins.
Otherwise, the wine will burst the skins,
and both the wine and the skins are ruined.
Rather, new wine is poured into fresh wineskins.”

Together these readings tell me that God has brought us something new. A new High Priest—a priest forever!--a Bridegroom, and new life. Lord, keep me focused on You, not wrapping my new life in the trappings of the old.

No comments: