Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Crunchy Creamy Yogurt


The French Women Don't Get Fat website has a recipe for Budwig Cream, a healthy delicious breakfast food. I wanted a little more protein and a little less fat in my breakfast, so I came up with this adaptation. We call it "crunchy creamy yogurt", and it is popular with the children as well as the adults in our household.

1 TBSP olive oil
1 cup plain fat-free yogurt
4 tsp agave nectar
juice of 1 lime

Combine those four ingredients, stirring well after each addition.

Grind 12 hazelnuts and 1/4 cup grapenuts cereal in a coffee grinder, then add to the yogurt mixture. Serve immediately.

Serves 2. Each serving has 283 calories and 10 grams of protein. To make a complete breakfast, I slice an apple (sharing it with my husband) and give us each 10 grapes, making a 353 calorie breakfast.
I've used pumpkin seeds instead of hazelnuts--I'm sure you could substitute your favorite nuts. And other cereals would work too.
Works for me Wednesday is hosted by Rocks in My Dryer.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Sounds very yummy ... thanks for sharing!

Totallyscrappy said...

I love yogurt with granola and/or nuts stirred in. I'll have to find out what agave nectar is.

Sophy Nextdoor said...

Agave nectar is a natural liquid sweetener, made from the agave plant. The taste is a little like honey, but it's lower on the GI index and I think it has fewer calories than honey also.