Monday, June 9, 2008

looking back--and counting blessings

A year ago today, my husband and I spent the day exploring Galway, before enjoying an evening of music at O'Connors Pub in Doolin, County Clare, Ireland. It was the middle of a six day visit that we still talk about every day. Ireland felt like home to us and we long to return. This week as we continually say, "A year ago we were....." we miss it more than ever. And the desert seems hotter and browner than ever.

In the midst of my longing and my whining, I read an e-mail from a friend. She and her husband are celebrating their first anniversary in a few days: he's in Iraq, she's in Oregon...and their first child's arrival is expected in August. He'll be home for two weeks in August, then return to Iraq, probably for another year. Their first two anniversaries...spent apart. The first year of their daughter's life...and Daddy isn't home.

I stopped whining.

No comments: