Wednesday, February 13, 2008

Book Review: The End of Religion

I hesitate to even attempt a book review with a cold fogging my brain, but here goes:

The End of Religion, by Bruxy Cavey

I read this last fall, and found it thought-provoking, comforting, and challenging. (Perhaps I use those words to describe all my favorite non-fiction books.) The book challenges its readers to follow Jesus -- to study Him and follow His example -- instead of just following fellow Christians or trying to fit in at church.

I was especially impressed by the author's discussion of Jesus' changing the water into wine. I had never noticed that Jesus used the water pitchers that were set aside for ritual cleansing! As if He were asking us to put aside our rules and lists of dos and don'ts, and just enjoy life with Jesus.

I highly recommend this book to anyone who has been hurt by the church or fellow Christians, to those who feel their spiritual life could use a little more passion, and to those who just want to know Jesus better.

No comments: